Friday, October 10, 2014

What the fap!

While drinking with a few co-workers at a happy hour today, I received several enthusiastic compliments about the blog.  If there's one thing I know, it's that drunk boys mean it when they tell you they love you, or at least when they tell you they love your work.  And just so we're clear, Mr. F, you agreed to invest $10,000+ in turning this blog into a book.  And I've got witnesses.

I have to say, not being active on a dating site after being very active on a dating site is sort of like being on vacation.  Since I'm not "liking" anybody's profiles, I'm not getting any new messages or winks right now.  It's kind of nice just to be an invisible girl again.  I did have one Amber Alert favorite my profile at about 3am, but I'm trying not to think about that.

That being said, boys are still looking at my profile.  How can I tell?  I'm so glad you asked.  You see, my site has this handy little feature where I can see every time a boy clicks on my page.  It's so great for the stalker in me.  I'm sure the guys realize this, or  actually, they probably don't - sometimes boys are dense.  But I know about it, so I'm careful about what profiles I look at, because I don't want to encourage an Amber Alert, just like I don't want to scare off a Normal.  Looking at someone's profile two or three times is flattering.  Double digits starts to feel like this:


What's more concerning is when a guy looks at your profile way after you've already ended your communication with them or it should be clear you're not going to respond to their messages.  This happens a lot.  A. LOT.  At first I thought it was kind of sweet, like maybe I really am just that hard to get over. After talking about it with some friends, boy did I get an education.  Apparently guys who look at your profile when there's no chance of making a connection are often just using your photos for a little.....suddenly I'm very aware that my mother is reading this, so I want to be careful how I phrase this....."alone time."  I'm so sheltered, this had literally not occurred to me.  They never covered this in Saved By the Bell, which is where I get most of my dating advice.  Unless of course, that's what Zack Morris was really doing with that cardboard cutout of Kelly Kapowski.  Say it ain't so, Zack!  Mind. Blown.   

I'm not going to lie; I'm like 2% flattered. What girl doesn't want to know that she can "inspire" someone in that way?  I hope they're keeping it classy with soft lighting and a romantic soundtrack. Mostly though, I'm revolted.  What I can't figure out is what they see in my pictures that's so....."motivating." None of my pictures are scandalous in the least, and I'm not delusional enough to think that my girls are at all impressive.  I mean, the men's magazines aren't exactly racing to put a B-cup broad on the cover.  At some level (like way down deep, buried under the part of me that's horrified), it makes me want to reconsider some of these guys that can "walk their dog" with only my smiling face for company.  I'm running out of euphemisms that don't make me blush.  I suppose it's a victimless crime, except, well, I feel sort of victimized.  I'm tempted to message some of these guys - you know, something like, "Jesus and I know what you're doing."  But I don't want to give them any encouragement, and I have no doubt that for a lot of these guys, negative attention is still considered attention.

So who's guilty of repetitive profile views? Well, Geek Squad for one (that's not awkward or anything) and a few guys I talked to at the beginning that didn't work out for religious reasons.  I like to believe those agnostics have now found religion and are thinking about contacting me again just to talk about Jesus.  Yes, I live in a fantasy land.  Then there are a slew of regulars that I've never responded to, but they look at my profile every few days, when they're needing a little pick-me-up, I'm guessing.  

To all my admirers, I guess I'm here for you.  Also, please stop doing that with my picture. 


Today's Updates
  • I'm getting excited for my date with Milton tonight.  This will technically be our 4th date in 9 days.  That seems like a lot, but I guess that's how you get to know someone.  
  • I'm starting to like Milton, like for real.  I'm not 100% there yet, but I'm definitely headed down that road.  Now we're approaching the really fun part where I can get hurt if at some point he decides he doesn't like me.  Although, why wouldn't he like me?  I'm delightful.*





* Actually, I'm more of an acquired taste.  I only come in one flavor.  I'd compare it to key lime pie.  Those who love it really  love it, and those who don't, well they can go screw themselves.....kind of like the boys looking at my profile pictures.  

No comments:

Post a Comment